August Housing Statistics: High Demand for More Affordable Properties
Edmonton, September 1, 2023:
- Total residential unit sales in the Greater Edmonton Area (GEA) real estate market for August 2023 hit 2,250, increasing 21.8% compared to August 2022, dropping marginally from July 2023 by 3.1%.
- New residential listings were up 3.7% year-over-year from August 2022, and increasing 0.3% from July 2023.
- Inventory in the GEA was down 15.5% from August of last year, and down 2.7% from the previous month.
- Total residential average prices came in at $397,811, a 0.5% increase from August 2022, and a drop of 2.7% from July 2023. Overall, all residential listings averaged 46 days on the market, increasing by four days year-over-year and one day from July 2023.
- Detached sales were up 16.8% from August 2022 and decreased 5.8% from July 2023 at 1,311. Averaged $495,005, noting a 2.1% year-over-year increase, but a 1.4% decrease from July 2023 at 45 days on the market, increasing one day from July 2023.
- Semi-detached sales were down 11.6% month-over-month but increased by 12.9% from this time last year. Sold for an average of $373,175, resulting in a 4.3% increase year-over-year, and a decrease of 1.5% from the previous month at 42 days on the market, increasing seven days from the previous month.
- Row/Townhouse unit sales were up 50.0% from August 2022 and up 23.2% from July 2023. Prices were up 3.6% from August 2022 and down 4.1% month-over-month, selling at $253,345 at 44 days on the market, an increase of three days month-over-month.
- Apartment Condominium sales had an increase of 25.1% from August 2022, while noting a decrease of 6.9% from the previous month. Average prices hit $192,815 showing a decrease of 1.0% from last month and an increase of 0.5% from August 2022 at 56 days on the market, showing a two-day decrease from July 2023.
“It’s not unusual to see a lot of activity in the market before we head into the cooler months, but it seems that buyers are sending a clear message that smaller, more affordable properties are what they want right now,” says REALTORS® Association of Edmonton 2023 Board Chair Melanie Boles. “Unit sales for all categories are up from last year, but Row/Townhouses were the clear winner selling 50% more units than the same time last year and jumping 23.2% from the previous month. Condominium Apartment units continued to perform well, with units selling 25.1% better than August of 2022.”